Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy
Sussex County, Delaware genealogy and family tree research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Sussex Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Sussex County was established on August 8, 1673 as an Original County (originally named Whorekill or Hoarkill, renamed 1681 to Deale or New Deal, renamed to Sussex in 1682). The county was named by William Penn for the English county of Sussex, which was his home county.
The Sussex County Seat is situated in Georgetown and the county government website is http://www.sussexcountyde.gov/
Areas neighboring Sussex County are Kent County (north), Cape May County, New Jersey (northeast), Worcester County, Maryland (south), Dorchester County, Maryland (southwest), Wicomico County, Maryland (southwest), Caroline County, Maryland (northwest).
Cities and towns situated in Sussex County include Lewes, Milford, Rehoboth Beach, Seaford, Bethany Beach, Bethel, Blades, Bridgeville, Dagsboro, Delmar, Dewey Beach, Ellendale, Fenwick Island, Frankford, Georgetown, Greenwood, Henlopen Acres, Laurel, Millsboro, Millville, Milton, Ocean View, Selbyville, Slaughter Beach, South Bethany.
Communities and CDPs include Angola, Argo's Corner, Atlanta, Bayard, Belltown, Broad Creek, Broadkill Beach, Cannon, Cedar Creek, Clarksville, Concord, Cool Spring, Coverdale, Fairmount, Fowler Beach, Gumboro, Harbeson, Hardscrabble, Hollymount, Hollyville, Jimtown, Johnson, Lincoln City, Long Neck, Marshtown, Middleford, Middlesex Beach, Midway, Nassau, Oakley, Oak Orchard, Old Furnace, Pepperbox, Pinetown, Redden, Reliance, Roxana, St. Johnstown, Whitesville, Williamsville.
Hundreds include Baltimore, Broad Creek, Broadkill, Cedar Creek, Dagsboro, Georgetown, Gumboro, Indian River, Lewes & Rehoboth, Little Creek, Nanticoke, Northwest Fork, Seaford.
Sussex County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Sussex Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sussex Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sussex Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There's free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Sussex County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Sussex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Delaware Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Delaware State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Sussex County Genealogical Society, c/o Rehoboth Beach Public Library, 226 Rehoboth Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
- Bridgeville Historical Society, 102 Williams Street, Bridgeville, DE 19933; Phone:(302) 337-7600
- Georgetown Historical Society, 510 S Bedford Street, Georgetown, DE 19947-1852; 302-855-9660
- Lewes Historical Society, 110 Shipcarpenter Street, Lewes, DE 19958; Phone:(302) 645-7670
- Milford Historical Society, 501 Northwest Front Street, Milford, DE 19963; Phone Number:(302) 422-4222
- Sussex County, Delaware Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Sussex County
- Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Sussex County
- USGenWeb Archives for Sussex County (usgwarchives.net)
Sussex County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the value of Sussex County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Delaware courthouses and archives everywhere are the desires and worries of countless Delaware people.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the Sussex County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will assist people in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to complete the researching. Most earlier records and many into the twentieth century have been transferred to the Delaware State Archives, although some counties have microfilms of transferred material.
The below details denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and courtroom records are located in Sussex County. The years stated listed below are considered the first noted documents in this county.
- Sussex County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Administrative Office Building, 2 The Circle, Georgetown, DE 19947
- Phone: 302-855-7055
- Sussex County Clerk of the Peace functions include Witnessing County documents; attends all formal Levy Court Meetings; records all acts as custodian for the Minutes of the Levy Court Meetings; advertises and posts County ordinances; countersigns warrants drawn on County funds. Issues marriage licenses and performs marriages (civil ceremonies) in the County.
- Sussex County Register of Wills purpose is to record wills and documents pertaining to estate matters in Sussex County, Delaware. The office is responsible for overseeing the appointments of personal representatives and for administering estate proceedings. This office is also held accountable for making sure that the estates are in compliance with the Delaware Law. All estate matters are maintained as permanent records.
- Sussex County Register of Deeds is responsible for indexing and maintaining copies of legal documents pertaining to land, mortgages, appointments, etc. Only the most recent deeds are in the office, however. Most have been transferred to the archives.
- Delaware Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Delaware for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Delaware Historical Records
- Databases include Delaware Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Delaware Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Delaware Voter Lists & Census Records; Delaware Immigration & Emigration Records; Delaware Obituary Records; Delaware Military Records; Delaware Family Tree Records; Delaware Pictures; Delaware Stories, Memories & Histories; Delaware Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Sussex County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Sussex County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Sussex County genealogy or family history related sites.
Sussex Co. DE Books, Newspapers & Publications
Sussex Co. DE Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Delaware
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Delaware, Vital Record Index Cards, 1680-1934 (familysearch.org) Images of card indexes from the Delaware State Archives Hall of Records in Dover, Delaware.
- Delaware, Vital Records, 1680-1962 (familysearch.org) A collection of various vital records from the Delaware Public Archives. The collection includes birth, marriage, death, bible, and cemetery records spanning various year ranges.
- Delaware, Births and Christenings, 1710-1896 (familysearch.org) Name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Delaware. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Delaware, Marriages, 1713-1953 (familysearch.org) Name index to marriage records from the state of Delaware. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Delaware, Deaths and Burials, 1815-1955 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Delaware. This set contains 1,653 records. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Sussex Co. DE Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Sussex Co. DE Census Records
Sussex Co. DE Cemeteries & Graveyards
Sussex Co. DE Church & Bible Records
Sussex Co. DE Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sussex Co. DE General and History Websites
- Sussex County, Delaware Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Sussex County History (sussexcountyde.gov)
- Time-Line, 1800 - 1899, Celia Steele & the broiler industry, Constitution, Early Colonists, English Rule, First Inhabitants, Map of 1795, Modern Sussex County, Old Christ Church, The County Seat, US Colored Troops, War of 1812, Zwaanendael
- History of Lewes, Delaware (search.ancestry.com)
- Sussex County, Delaware Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Sussex Co. DE Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Sussex County, Delaware (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Delaware - Counties - Sussex (cyndislist.com)
- Sussex County Delaware (genealogytrails.com)
- Sussex Co. DEGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Sussex County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Sussex Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Sussex Co. DE Immigration & Naturalization
Sussex Co. DE Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sussex Co. DE Military Records
Sussex Co. DE Schools & Directories